Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Demise of Talk Lubbock

For three years most of my idle time on the internet has been used in a local forum called "Talk Lubbock,"   posting under the names Ironfoot McGurk and Inmate #24602.   It's been fun, both stimulating and irritating, by turns  and often at the same time.

To my regret, it looks like that forum is being discontinued.   It is also to my regret that I may have had a hand in precipitating the decision to discontinue it.

Free speech is that way, not really free.   Each gruff or aggressive word or conflict is remembered, at some level, and eventually comes back to cloud any continuing relationship.   Like others, I have not been shy about speaking my mind.   I've hurt and been hurt, but it may be that my skin is thicker than most.   To those I have offended unfairly, I apologize.

The folks who were kind enough to provide the forum for us and who did the work and bore the expense  growing the forum, weeding out spam and policing TOS violators, have on this day deleted their accounts and posts and gone home.   Sad.

My thanks to them for sticking with it while it lasted.   You did good, fellas.   I never meant to say that you didn't. 

The shame in the way it ended is that a certain ill-mannered blogger on a vendetta can claim a hand in ending it.    

Catch you on the flip.

No comments:

Post a Comment