Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Discussion Forum part 2

Been posting some over at that new forum, Views n News or whatever it is.    I want it to be a success and to participate but don't want it to overwhelm it.   So I'm gonna keep clear and not frighten new members away.   At Talk Lubbock there were enough members from the outset to get the ball rolling.   Still, it took close to three years to achieve critical mass.  Most "members" were spammers.  Genuine members were far fewer and those actively posting fewer still.

Critical mass means enough members, comments, and views to get the site to snowball.   

You can recognize a dead discussion forum when all the posts are old. 

The forum I started, http://lbkactives.forummotion.com/, "West Texas Active Adults" has never gotten rolling as far as members go.  I hoped it would replace a fairly active site called the "Caprock Multi-Sport Forum" that got taken down along with West Texas Cycling.    A couple of those guys came over, but that's all.   Most cyclists and athletes are too busy doing stuff to worry much about talking about it.

Still, I don't consider "West Texas Active Adults" a failure because it does provide useful information to those looking for it.   For example, the thread on cycling links has over 1300 views.  The information about ride routes in Lubbock is likewise useful.   

I try to keep active links there, so my forum acts as a gateway to other Lubbock/West Texas sites pertaining to cycling, running, climbing, caving, etc.  

That site needs little maintenance so far.  Only one spammer discovered it.  So it's tempting to just neglect it.   But I do drop by once in a while to check for spam and broken links.

If I'd thought about it, I'd have called it something else.   "West Texas Active Adults"  sounds like a swingers website.  It isn't; just about G-rated types of exercise like walking,  running, cycling and weights.

Think I'll go back and start keeping a weblog of my exercise activity there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment